Re: Game customization

   Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 20:22:06 +0200
   From: Bruno Boettcher <bboett@erm1.u-strasbg.fr>

   > Another reason why independent units should be handled in the kernel;
   > the mplayer code isn't designed to make its units fight each other.

   BTW why not?

Because I don't have a 300 IQ? :-) But seriously, it's plenty
challenging to get the mplayer to get all of a side's units to work
together effectively.  If you added things that made the units work
together sometimes and against each other at other times, it would be
*really* complicated.  If the code goes past the limits of what I can
understand, somebody else will have to maintain it then...

   > Yes, there is a side mask that is an integer.  It could be turned into a
   > small array or struct, but there are many iterations over sides that
   > assume there are only a few sides in a game.
   since machine get more and more powerful, is such a limitation still useful?

Heh, Xconq is still capable of bringing the most powerful machine to
its knees, just set up a really large game.  But the 31-side
limitation doesn't really need to exist, it just hasn't been a
priority to figure out to remove it; if somebody contributed changes
to allow large numbers of sides, I'd certainly want to add those
changes to the source.