Re: Game customization

>As I see it, independent sides are the same as the other sides except they
>are trying to stay out of the conflict.  Something like Switzerland in the
>Second World War, I think you'd agree.  Thus I think the standard AI code
>should be modified to include them.  Independent sides should definitely
>build units and place them defensively, but should not move units into
>other countries.  They should be capable of acting offensively to push out
>an invader in their country.

This is exactly how I'm going about this. The independent side is being run
by the mplayer, with some modifications that lobotomizes it. No high level
planning, just knee-jerk reactions. If you give it full AI powers it will just
wipe out everybody else in a few turns, at least in those games where most
units start out as independent.

The ability to build is definitely needed if you want the independent side
to do
anything interesting in existing games, since it usually lacks mobile units at
the start of a game. However, it does change the nature of some games a
lot. Take
the Roman Civil War. After a few turns it's more like Rome 400 A.D. Hordes of
barbarian units swarm across the borders of the empire. Ceasar and Pompejus
have to stop fighting each other and instead face this new threat. A lot
more fun
(in my opinion) but hardly the scenario Massimo was trying to set up.

This is one argument in favour of customized setup - it gives you the
option to
play the game either as originally designed, or with a more active independent
side.

>> I'm also working on making the population code in ane.g, where cities can
>> grow in size and thus become more powerful, available to other games. The
>> question then arises if this code should be on by default (which would have
>> profound effects in some existing games) or off (which wouldn't change
>> anything in existing games).
>
>Off by default -- using the population code should be the choice of the
>game designer.

True, but the choice did not exist since the population code was not available
when the existing games were written. Same goes for any other new feature
you might want to add. With a customized setup you can have it both ways:
use the new feature or play the game as originally designed.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@2.sbbs.se