Re: xconq on x86

On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 07:27:49PM -0700, Stan Shebs wrote:

> Doesn't winzip unpack .tar.gz files OK?  In any case, the zip/infozip
> suggestion sounds good, at least until we have an InstallShield setup.

I don't know, I don't think I have winzip installed on my Wintel box
(unless it was included as a part of Win98).  Most windows apps I download
are .exe files that self-extract.

> You can always just select a different thing to build - but right now
> you have to switch to survey mode (gunsight/looking glass button),
> click on unit, click on build button, click on unit type, then switch
> back to move mode.  That's 5 steps, which seems like too many.  Can
> anybody point out a game interface that does this more efficiently
> and clearly?

Why can't I click on the town, that'd get me the dotted line around the
town, then I could click on Build and then the thing to build (this seems
unnecessary for a town, BTW, it seems obvious what I mean if I click
on the thing-to-build when a town is highlighted); then that action is
done and the dotted line could go back to whatever unit I was supposed
to be directing previously.

I know it's not too helpful, but I find the Starcraft UI very simple
to understand.  The Xconq UI seems harder to navigate for essentially
the same tasks.

> Known bug with the map scrollbars.  I'm thinking of flushing those
> scrollbars altogether, and just doing a combination of autoscroll near
> map edge and goto via the world map, which is how the Mac interface
> does it now, and it works pretty well.

Does that mean I could drag the view window around by dragging my mouse
in the world-view window (with a button clicked, naturally)?  I found
that I could click in the world-view window and the view window would
snap to that location, but I couldn't hold down a button and move around
the world map and have te view window updated continually.

(Hey, computers are fast these days, no excuses! :-)

Jason