Re: the CVS repo

   Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 01:28:41 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Steve Robbins <steve@nyongwa.montreal.qc.ca>

   That's even better that remembering to not use '-d'.  Best of all -- from
   my point of view -- would be to reverse things, and have the *default* to
   be the "no tcl" version.

I thought about that for awhile, the idea does have merit, but ended up
deciding to do it the "Cygnus way" :-) which is to have the default
module include everything that might possibly be needed, and then
add subset modules.  The problem is that tcl and tk libraries are not
as standard as, say, X11, and one could really lose if they're not
present, or if the wrong ones are present.

When I add the cvs info to the web page, all will be described.

   > I don't think all the configury is there to use
   > the system versions automatically though, beware.

   No, it doesn't use it automatically.  After removing the tcl & tk
   directories & configuring, the build failed.  I edited x11/Makefile.in,
   uncommenting

	   TCLTK_LIB = -ltk -ltcl -ldl -lm

   The build failed again however, since there are no rules for make to
   update Makefile when Makefile.in changes.  OK, so I rerun configure and I
   got xconq to build.

Sigh, I copied what automake generated for another program, but it
didn't seem to work...

   Then the install failed, since I was NOT building in the source tree:
   files for xconqlibdir were not searched for in the source tree.  I got
   messages like:

	   install: ../../x11/../lib-x11/../../x11/../lib-x11/README: No such file or directory

   I'd like to send you patches to fix these two problems (Makefile depends
   on Makefile.in, and non-srcdir builds).  The easiest way I know of to do
   this is to use automake.  Would that be acceptable?

That seems like a nontrivial transition, but I was expecting to move to
automake eventually anyway.  Let's see what it looks like!