Re: Some proposals to implement *sieges*

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Stan Shebs wrote:

> I assume you're referring to the standard game.  For a long time I
right :)

> thought that allowing road-building was unnecessary and complicating,
> because chains of bases have a similar effect, and allow for battles
> to focus on controlling the bases, which wouldn't happen for roads.
that's right, and the other thing is that you can let travel anything through
places!! I admit that myself i often have let travel battleships across lines
of bases to shorten transport.... even if it is quite a non-sense... this
couldn't happen with roads, or am i wrong? Further roads don't offer protection
as places do....

> But on the other hand, road-building only comes into play if players
> are advanced enough to know about it.  One practical problem is that
> currently the unit would be able to build 1 segment of road each turn;
> there is no notion of a not-yet-completed road.  The closest you could
> get was to allow negative acp, which I consider too complicated to be
> desirable for the standard game.
that's true, but what about variable duration depending on the terrain type?

> So if everybody agrees that allowing infantry to build road, at a rate
> of 1 segment/turn, is OK and won't unbalance the game, then I'm
> willing to make the change.
Yeah please, my vote granted ;D

ciao
bboett
acount at earthling net
http://erm6.u-strasbg.fr/~bboett
Unsolicited commercial email is NOT welcome at this email address
To contact me replace acount by bboett in above addresses