Re: Is there a roadmap for the STAP development?

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 6:13 PM, David Smith <dsmith@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 02/14/2017 12:51 AM, Arkady wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am considering some patches for SystemTap - mostly fixing minor
>> inconveniences. Obviously I would like to align the efforts and,
>> hopefully merge the patches into the master. Is there a document
>> describing the SystemTap development roadmap?
>
> Hmm, not that I know of. Some items of future development are tracked as
> enhancements in sourceware's bugzilla.
>
>> Examples of things I would like to extend
>>
>> * Add build only flag in the stap utility which does not require root privileges
>
> Different from '-p4'?

Yes, -p4 does the trick. I missed it.

>> * Add RPM spec file supporting automatic build of the kernel driver
>> after kernel updates
>
> What do you mean by "the kernel driver"?

I need to build the module automatically every time the kernel
updates. I am preparing the RPM/DEB which does the trick, but to have
a generic example in /docs/examples would be nice or even a script
which generates such RPM based on the stap command line options.

>> * In the _stp_reserve_bytes() return indication that the trace buffer
>> is overwritten
>> * Add support for zero copy data transfer
>
> You'd have to flesh those last two items out a bit for me to understand
> what you are looking to do.

When I send the events from the stap module to the user space I am doing
event_type* event = _stp_reserve_bytes(sizeof(event_type));
event->field1 = value1;
I do not handle case when _stp_reserve_bytes() starts to overwrite the
data in the trace buffer. It would be cool to have some feedback that
buffer is full or is getting full. In some situations it is better to
drop the event and avoid overwriting the buffer.

In another approach I am planning to use the shared memory for sending
events from the kernel to the user space in one specific case - very
frequent system calls. Similarly to transport.c with zero copy API.