Re: An attempt for systemtap "make installcheck" AArch64

On 12/03/2013 12:23 AM, Sandeepa Prabhu wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
> I am still struggling with getting 'kernel and systemtap' builds on
> fc19 EFI based image, so I can test only after succeed with builds.  I
> had updated yum to use new "koji" server, but seeing that 'yum install
> gcc' got me different version of toolchain: " gcc version 4.8.1
> 20130920 (Red Hat 4.8.1-10) (GCC)", and systemtap (+elfutils) did not
> build as ./configure ... fails.  Moreover, kernel build just hangs the
> model ssh/console indefinitely!. Any pointers from you would help me,
> I am not sure of the dependencies between systemtap/elfutils, gcc,
> kernel version, efi changes (I merged msalter "armv8-uefi-latest"
> branch).

Hi Sandeepa,

I am cc'ing msalter on this email because he can probably give you more/better information on building aarch64 kernel and which branch is best to pull things from to get a working aarch64 kernel.

I am currently using a UEFI based aarch64 Fedora 19 image.  There is a newer UEFI aarch64 fedora 19 image available at http://dmarlin.fedorapeople.org/fedora-arm/aarch64/F19-aarch64-efi.tar.xz. Using this might make the environment a bit closer to what the Red Hat aarch64 developers are currently using. It should also be easier to install the kernel.  Just need to write the Image and initramfs.img files into /boot/efi rather than copying them to the host.

I built my kernel November 7, so it has been a while since I have pull in changes. You could look through and see if there are any significant differences between the kernel configs. Below is a URL for config file that I used to build my local kernel:

http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/aarch64/aarch64_config

The version of gcc that I am using in my aarch64 image is:

gcc-4.8.1-10.x1.fc19.aarch64

I suspect the problem is if you checked out elfutils from a git repository you will need to go in to the elfutils source directory and do the following to create a ./configure file:

 autoreconf -f -v -i

Then when building systemtap you will need to include something like the following option the systemtap ./configure:

--with-elfutils=/home/wcohen/elfutil

-Will