Re: How to use systemtap with linux 3.5 userspace probes ?

Hi, David -

cournape wrote:

> My understanding is that systemtap 1.8 supports userspace probing with
> upstream kernel >=3.5

Ues.

> I was expecting to be able to use the same dysp probes as with the
> utrace patches, but trying a simple stap scripts such as:
>
> probe process("./a.out").function("foo")
> { printf("hello\n"); }
> fails to run:
>
> semantic error: while resolving probe point [...]

Yes, this should work.

> Pass 2: analysis failed.  Try again with another '--vp 01' option.
> Is there some information I am missing ?

Not sure; it's possible that your kernel is not compiled with the
CONFIG_UPROBES option, or something like that.  Please run stap-report
(ideally the freshest version from systemtap git), and "stap --vp 08
your_script.stp".