Re: Fwd: Using abrt to automatically download and install debuginfo

On 08/09/2011 04:08 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
Tim Burke (tburke@redhat.com) said:
In my tests, I found that a small debuginfo file of around 0.2MB took
only an average of
1.34 seconds to download and install, whereas a larger file of 76.5 MB
took around 6.4
minutes to download and install. Of course these times are heavily
dependant on the
internet connection, so they should only be taken as a rough ballpark
estimate.

Example:

$ stap -e 'probe process("/bin/gzip").function("*") { log(pp()) }'

If the gzip debuginfo is not already installed, SystemTap will call
"abrt-action-install-debuginfo-to-abrt-cache" to first download and then
install the "gzip.debug"
file into: "/var/cache/abrt-di/usr/lib/debug/" . SystemTap will then
look in this directory to use the
debuginfo for the probe.

If you have any comments or suggestions, I'd like to hear them.
Is it possible to use abrt's retrace server to not require the debuginfo
locally?

Bill
Hi Bill,

It appears that the retrace server does not actually server the debuginfo
to remote machines. Rather it decodes core files sent by the remote
machines. So in its current state, it does not look like that would be
a possibility.

Regards,
Chris