Re: Comments on Installation Guide

Hi, Daniel -

mglt.biz wrote:

> I went through the documentation, and maybe I would add a few
> indications for the installation. It looks that some of them have
> been removed from previous installation guides.

Such distribution-specific information could go into the wiki, or
perhaps new README.fedora type files.  Note that the main README
already has similar information.

> I Install systemtap
>
> If you want to install systemtap from rpm :
>   yum install systemtap systemtap-client systemtap-grapher
> systemtap-runtime systemtap-sdt-devel systemtap-server
> systemtap-testsuite

The basic requirement is only systemtap and systemtap-runtime.

> If you want the latest version, then you may built it from the git
> repository :
>   I.1. Download the git directory
>     If you don't already have a local copy :
>     git clone [...]

(Already in the README.)

>   I.2. Get pre-requisit rpms :
>     yum install xmlto [...]

"yum-builddep systemtap" should work about as well as that list.

>   I.3. Configure and build :
>     cd systemtap.git
>     ./configure
> [...]

(Already in README.)

> II Configure your kernel :
>
>     yum install kernel-devel-`uname -r`
>     debuginfo-install kernel-`uname -r`
> [...]

These could be added to the README.

Hm, how about posting a proposed patch for the README file
for the couple of items that are missing?