Re: [pcp] suitability of PCP for event tracing

On 2/09/2010 1:05 AM, David Smith wrote:
On 08/29/2010 10:54 AM, Ken McDonell wrote:

... stuff deleted ...

As Nathan has suggested, if event traces are intended for retrospective
analysis (as opposed to event counters being suited for either real time
or retrospective analysis), then there is an alternative approach,
namely to create a PCP archive directly from a source of data without
involving pmcd or a pmda or pmlogger.  We've recently reworked the
"pmimport" services to expose better APIs to support just this style of
use ... see LOGIMPORT(3) and sar2pcp(1) for an example.  I think this
approach is possibly a better semantic match between PCP and a stream of
event records.

Hmm. If I'm understanding all the acronyms correctly, I'm not seeing the benefit of using LOGIMPORT to create a PCP archive vs. involving pcmd/pmda/pmlogger. Could you expand here?

David,

The "benefit" is that importing data to create a PCP archive is a data translation process that is not dependent on polled sampling of data ... you can consume a stream of timestamped data and create a corresponding PCP archive as an off-line or batch process. Import tools are also comparatively simple to write.

The "disadvantage" is that you're no closer to real-time monitoring with this approach, so it is usually used in cases where there is an existing body of historical data and one is interested in using pmie or pmchart or pmlogsummary for some retrospective analysis ... non-PCP tools like sar and monitoring subsystems that support "Export to Excel" are the most common examples.