Re: vmlinux search path

> Debian recently started shipping debug symbols for the kernel package.
> The vmlinux file is installed as /usr/lib/debug/vmlinux-`uname-r
>
> Currently, stap when executed, is not able to find this file. Is there a
> list where it looks for the file ?

>From my experience stap looks for debuginfo files in this order.
As soon as it finds a vmlinux file, it stops searching even if that
vmlinux file is not debug file.

The directory containing vmlinux can also specified by using
SYSTEMTAP_DEBUGINFO_PATH environmental variable.

/boot/vmlinux-`uname -r`
/boot/.debug/vmlinux-`uname -r`
/usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-`uname -r`
/boot/vmlinux-`uname -r`.debug
/boot/.debug/vmlinux-`uname -r`.debug
/usr/lib/debug/boot/`uname -r`5.1snap2.debug
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/vmlinux
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/vmlinux.debug
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/.debug/vmlinux.debug
/usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/`uname -r`/vmlinux.debug

HTH
-Srikar