Re: [RFC] Framework for easy distribution of SystemTap scripts (V3)

Hi -

> >Why *not* install it?  How are people supposed to get a hold of your
> >script if it doesn't get installed?
>
> This script will be used by a very select set of users - say admins who
> wish to debug a customer machine, don't think it would be right to
> install it as part of the systemtap/systemtap-runtime rpms as it is not
> going to be used by the 'regular' stap user. It can be obtained from the
> source.

Well, if you are targeting this to such a specific subset of users,
then perhaps there is little need to include the script within the
systemtap source tree.  It could be as easily downloaded from the wiki
for example, no?

> >(There still appears some ps -ef | grepping in the new version; probably
> >all of that is unnecessary, if you save child pids properly.)
>
> With the -start option, staprun executes in the background while the
> script exits. To stop users need to run the package with -stop, it would
> not be possible to store the child pids in this scenario.

(If you used the normal flight-recorder mode startup/shutdown options,
the pids wouldn't be needed, since the module name is used as the
key.)

> [...]
> >To have a separate configuration file for this only, you'd need to
> >argue why some options have to be treated differently from others.
>
> The problem here is that we are not aware of the options or the no of
> options before hand. This would vary from script to script.

I guess the help text is not specific as to what these option strings
actually do.  They appear to be made available to the hand-coded
template file as shell variables, which happens to use $time.  How
else are these options conceivably used?  Not staprun module-options;
not apparently post-processing-script environment variables.