This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the systemtap project.
[Bug translator/10678] vta-gcc: cannot find module nfs debuginfo: relocation refers to undefined symbol
- From: "mjw at redhat dot com" <sourceware-bugzilla at sourceware dot org>
- To: systemtap at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: 23 Sep 2009 08:13:38 -0000
- Subject: [Bug translator/10678] vta-gcc: cannot find module nfs debuginfo: relocation refers to undefined symbol
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: sourceware-bugzilla at sourceware dot org
------- Additional Comments From mjw at redhat dot com 2009-09-23 08:13 -------
(In reply to comment #4)
> (In reply to comment #2)
> > Ok, the case here is something that never came up before: the DWARF for an entry
> > in nfs.ko really does require relocation against a symbol defined in another
> > module.
> Could you spell out why this couldn't be represented the same
> way as an unresolved reference to an extern symbol (SHF_UNDEF)?
It isn't exactly like a plain undefined symbol. The issue is that some dwarf
construct uses a relocation based on a symbol address that cannot be resolved. I
guess Roland's medium term plan is to track such relocations to the affected
dwarf dies and mark them "incomplete" somehow. But currently we would just end
up with bogus dwarf info since we don't know which parts are affected and which
It seems that for now the best we can do is make sure that the dwfl always
contains vmlinux and any depended module listed in
/lib/modules/<release>/modules.dep[.bin] just like depmod does.
------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are the assignee for the bug, or are watching the assignee.