Re: Need more information on uProbes .

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 05:55:57PM +0530, Diptopal Basu wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I am loking for information on uProbes implementation on ARM
> architecture , I believe uProbes allows probing in the user space ,
> however I am not able to find relevant documentation on the same .

Uprobes is implemented only for architectures that have utrace support
(x86-32, x86_64, powerpc, s390, but not IA64). Its currently shipped as
part of SystemTap's runtime.

http://sources.redhat.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=systemtap.git;f=runtime/uprobes/uprobes.txt;hb=HEAD
has some documentation from earlier. The API hasn't changed AFAICS.

For ARM though, the utrace layer needs to be implemented and uprobes
ported over. That's quite some work. AFAIK, nobody is working on it yet.

Ananth