Re: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] DTrace

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 12:07:46AM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> In rpm-based distros, this is done automagically in rpmbuild and driven by
> magic macros and shell scripts.  I had the impression Debian also did
> parallel -debuginfo packages of the same sort, so I presume some scripts
> using either objcopy/strip or eu-strip are buried in that build magic too.

Debian doesn't have -debuginfo packages, hence my request to get a
pointer at the magic shell script to do the separation.  To the extent
that Systemtap will be used by more people (and hence grow its tapset
collection more quickly) it would be useful if more distributions
could figure out how to deal with the -debuginfo information in a more
sane fashion (where quadroupling or so the space needed in /boot for
each kernel is often not practical :-).

I've pulled apart RHEL's rpm macro magic before, and it's not a
pleasant wading through all of the files; maybe we can teach the
native kernel build infrastructure how to create debuginfo files so
that each distribution doesn't have to re-invent the wheel from
scratch, but rather can reuse common infrastructure in Kbuild....

							- Ted