Re: Systemtap testsuite report for arm architecture

"Bruno Abinader" <bruno.abinader@openbossa.org> writes:

> We at INdT made a few tests using systemtap on maemo devices (arm
> architecture). For these results, it was used the Systemtap snapshot
> 20081201 and elfutils 0.131.

Thank you for your valuable analysis.

> Results for 20080201:
>                  === systemtap Summary ===
>
>  # of expected passes            367
>  # of unexpected failures        68
>  # of unexpected successes       1
>  # of expected failures          153
>  # of known failures             6
>  # of untested testcases         15
>  # of unsupported tests          4
>  runtest completed at Fri Feb  1 15:28:08 2008

Would you mind emailing the dejagnu systemtap.sum file to
dejazilla@elastic.org?  Can you also try a newer snapshot of systemtap
(or from cvs )?

>  FAIL: cmd_parse6: unexpected EOF
>  -----------------------------------------------------
>  This test gives EOF because systemtap was unable to evaluate the
>  following sentence:
>  stap -c '(((a=42+7)); echo "The answer is $a")' -e 'probe begin {}'
>  The correct output is: "The answer is 49" but console output shown "The
>  answer is" without number.

What a strange test - appears to assume $SHELL=bash.  Will fix.

>  FAIL: systemtap.base/deref.stp startup (eof)
>  ---------------------------------------------------------------
>  Fails to compile on ARM. Looks like a bug on ARM-specific read/write
>  memory addresses code. [...]

Someone with access to arm hardware (or a good simulator) will need to
port this stuff.

>  FAIL: backtrace - could not build modules
>  FAIL: args - could not build modules
>  FAIL: pid - could not build modules
>  --------------------------------------------------
>  stap was unable to find "systemtap_test_module2" on ARM.

I wonder why.

>  'backtrace' stap output:
>  [...]
>  module("systemtap_test_module2").function("yyy_char").return
>  semantic error: no match while resolving probe point

Another porting issue, I suspect.

>  FAIL: buildok/eighteen.stp
>  -------------------------------------
>  CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL was disabled in kernel compilation, which is not
>  available for ARM. Can be ignored.

Perhaps the test suite should look at include/linux/autoconf.h or the
kernel .config and expose the active CONFIG_<> flags to the tcl code.
Then this test could be xfail'd.

>  FAIL: buildok/seventeen.stp
>  ----------------------------------------
>  Fails with the following output:
>  semantic error: cannot relocate user-space dso (?) address: identifier
>  '$write_fifo_fops' at seventeen.stp:8:19

This should be fixed in more recent systemtap code.

>  FAIL: buildok/nfs-all-probes.stp
>  FAIL: buildok/nfsd-all-probes.stp
>  ----------------------------------------------
>  Kernel modules nfs, sunrpc and others come from the package
>  rx-34-kernel-modules-extra. [...]

This test could benefit from the .config-parsing.

>  FAIL: buildok/vfs-all-probes.stp
>  [...]
>  ------------------------------------------
>  All these tests fail with a "semantic error: failed to retrieve return
>  value location" error, due to missing return value locations support for
>  ARM in elfutils backend. This issue also affects all LKET modules, so
>  LKET is not working on ARM.

That should be noted as an elfutils bug (pls open one on
bugzilla.redhat.com).

>  FAIL: systemtap.samples/ioblocktest.stp shutdown (eof)
>  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  Test initially fails because it depends on direct block I/O activity.
>  This can be triggered by reading directly from /dev/mtdblock4 using
>  "dd". [...]

What is the maemo compiler version?  Later ones do better with debuginfo
correctness.

>  FAIL: transok/tval-opt.stp
>  ------------------------------------
>  Fails with the following output:
>  semantic error: Expecting symbol or array index expression: identifier
>  '$keycode' at <input>:1:58
>  semantic error: unexpected type: identifier '$keycode' at <input>:1:44
>  semantic error: failed to retrieve location attribute for local
>  'keycode' (dieoffset: 0x9ec239): identifier '$keycode' at <input>:1:44

This one may be fixed in more recent code.

> [...]
>  FAIL: conversions.stp 0xffffffff (6)
>  FAIL: conversions.stp 0xffffffffffffffff (6)
>  This test depends on architecture-specific memory addressing
>  conventions. There is no special treatment for ARM in this case. [...]

Can you suggest another address range based on arm linux kernel memory
layout?

>  []s, and sorry for the long mail!

No problem - thank you!