SystemTap on Ubuntu 7.04 i386

I discovered that Ubuntu has a kernel-debug package that provides an unstripped vmlinux only (no modules). Perhaps this is general knowledge, but it was news to me. The installed vmlinux is named /boot/vmlinux-dbg-<version>, so I created a link to it named vmlinux-<version> so systemtap can find it. Then I built and installed the latest systemtap in CVS (as of yesterday) and ran "make installcheck". I was surprised to see very few failures (see below). I haven't evaluated the failures yet. Obviously anything related to modules can be explained. I also tried a few of the example scripts and they worked as well, with the exception of socktop because the sockets tapset was broken at the time the FC7 snapshot was taken. All this with just a 57MB vmlinux debuginfo file.

I'm wondering if we could get the distros to install the vmlinux-only debuginfo by default. I'm guessing this would allow 95% of systemtap to work out-of-box.

BTW, Ubuntu 7.04 does bundle a version of systemtap, but it seems rather old.

Mike

Test Run By root on Mon Jun  4 15:14:11 2007
Native configuration is i686-pc-linux-gnu

FAIL: systemtap.base/kmodule.stp compilation
FAIL: buildok/eighteen.stp
FAIL: buildok/four.stp
FAIL: buildok/scsi.stp
FAIL: buildok/twentyfive.stp
FAIL: semok/twelve.stp
FAIL: semok/twenty.stp
FAIL: systemtap.samples/lket(semantic error)
FAIL: transport fill staging buffer - relayfs (0)
FAIL: systemtap.stress/current.stp compilation

=== systemtap Summary ===

# of expected passes		309
# of unexpected failures	10
# of expected failures		130