Re: Listing probe alias resolution failures

patm@pdx.edu wrote:
Quoting David Smith <dsmith@redhat.com>:
The only thing that doesn't work is:

# stap -p2 -u -e 'probe syscall.compat_getitimer {}'

So, the only error I get is when I explicitly list the system call that
doesn't exist on my current arch and kernel.  I could see where if you
were writing a script targeting either multiple architectures or
multiple kernel versions that might bother you.  However, the solution
is easy - make that probe optional:

# stap -p2 -u -e 'probe syscall.compat_getitimer ? { }'

Very nice, I had no idea that you could do this to a probe alias. But, and I don't know if this is intended or not, it still fails on certain errors:

$ stap -p2 -u -e 'probe vm.mmap ? { }'
semantic error: failed to retrieve location attribute for local 'addr' (dieoffset: 0xb84881): identifier '$addr' at

Hmm.

Here I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that if you take away the '-u', then your example works (since the optimizer removes references to the variables that aren't read).

The bad news is that if you reference the local variable version of the function's parameters in your optional probe, it errors out, like this:

# stap -p2 -e 'probe vm.mmap ? { printf("%p %d\n", address, length) }'
semantic error: failed to retrieve location attribute for local 'addr' (dieoffset: 0xbf6524): identifier '$addr' at /usr/local/share/systemtap/tapset/memory.stp:118:15

Here it seems like we should be able to discard the probe before trying to look up its parameters.

Could you file a bugzilla on this so we don't forget to look at this?

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com