Re: SystemTap toolkit

Mike Mason wrote:
> As I mentioned in a previous discussion, I'd like to start creating a
> SystemTap toolkit.  This would be a collection of scripts that address
> the needs of system administrators and developers.  The goals of this
> effort are as follows:
>
> - Collect script ideas and document them on the SystemTap wiki.
> - Drive creation of the scripts and track progress on the wiki.
> - Provide a central repository for the scripts.  I propose a new toolkit
> directory under systemtap/src in CVS.  Under toolkit I'd like to create
> subdirectories for the major areas of Linux management and debugging
> (CPU, Network, Memory, Processes, etc.). I'd also like to move or copy
> some of the existing script examples (war stories, src/examples, etc.)
> into this directory structure.
> - Create links on the wiki for completed scripts.  These could link
> either directly into CVS or to copies on the wiki (what's preferred?).
> - Package the scripts such that they are easy to obtain and deploy
> (simple tarball, separate toolkit rpm, integrated into the systemtap
> rpm, etc).

Awesome. And if the script is used to solve a particular problem or bug,
do take note of the bugzilla #, or a description of the problem and how
about to reproduce this problem to test how the script works. This way,
everyone can learn from your experience.

Also, you might want to point us the URL for collecting script ideas. If
anyone has example outputs, that would be very helpful to give new
volunteers an idea what they should focus/work on.

Maybe it's time to categorize our WarStories.

Eugene