Re: "stap -u" testing

Mike Mason <mmlnx@us.ibm.com> writes:

> As far as I can tell, none of the tests invoke stap with the -u
> option (unoptimized mode).  Doing so is revealing (see examples
> below).  [...]

It would be worthwhile to review the history of the -u option in the
archives.  One will see that one of its motivations was specifically
to minimize the effect of unpredictably incomplete debugging
information for some $target variables.  This way, only those
variables actually used by end-user script code are asserted to exist,
and tapsets can be optimistic in a sense.

It is true that this option can also mask cases where the named
$target variables are completely wrong (that is, not present on any
supportworthy kernel version).  The difficulty lies in telling apart
this class from the other one.