Re: marking tapset files

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

Sorry for the delay in replying to your email.

Hi -

varap wrote:

[...] Any resolution on this.

One minor tweak already done is the inclusion of a README file in
/usr/share/systemtap/tapset which says "don't run these!" (with more
words).

Thanks for the addition to the README.
I know users are expected to read the instructions but as you know many don't, so we need to make it better than that.

I had to deal with two users in the last week who ran to this very
problem of directly executing tapsets as scripts. My proposal would
be let us change the extension of tapsets as .tap and scripts to
remain as .stp

Do you believe that this measure, by itself, would have been enough to
keep your users from running them directly?

I went back and discussed with all the users who ran into this problem and the answer i got back was unanimous yes. One user even said i was just looking for anything with an extension .stp as an example to try and i cam across tapset file and i have executed without even thinking twice.

Next step we could enhance translator to give better error messages.

Let's open a bug report for that.

I have opened the bug 3648 for this.