Re: Use of -Werror in systemtap Module Makefiles

David Wilder <dwilder@us.ibm.com> writes:

> We are using -Werror in the tap modules Makefile causing the following
> error during module builds. [...]
> [...]
> /usr/local/share/systemtap/runtime/vsprintf.c: In function '_stp_vsnprintf':
> /usr/local/share/systemtap/runtime/vsprintf.c:428: warning: frame size
> of '_stp_vsnprintf' is 256 bytes
> [...]

This actually looks good to know.  With probes running in potentially
small amounts of stack space, stack hogs need to thin down.  Martin,
would it be easy to improve this (by e.g. using fewer locals)?

> Should -Werror be removed from the systemtap module build?

I suspect that the flag is on the whole worth keeping - to help ensure
that the translator is generating clean code.

> /usr/local/share/systemtap/runtime/stack.c: In function
> '_stp_stack_sprintj':
> /usr/local/share/systemtap/runtime/stack.c:338: warning: 'stack' may
> be used uninitialized in this function [...]

This too might be easily worked around by tweaks to the runtime code.
I'd rather see that done than to make all warnings go away quietly.