Re: perfmon2 TODO list

Hi -

I am a developer on the systemtap project, which Will Cohen has
referred you to earlier in the discussion.  I thought I would jump in
just to add/refresh focus on one important perfmon requirement for
systemtap: a kernel-side API.

Because of the way systemtap works, we need kernel-side modules to be
able to at least *read* performance counters.  (Ideally, this should
be an API that includes the 32->64-bit overflow support.)  In
addition, it would be nice if the ioctl *configuration* interface was
also available as a kernel-side API, so that systemtap probes could
run the ioctl() equivalents from kernel space during session
startup/shutdown.

Is this general need clear?  controversial?  easy?