Re: next steps

Martin Hunt <hunt@redhat.com> [050921]:
> Currently the translator writes a large amount of C code for every
> probe.  This is unscalable and the code is too slow for tracing or
> profiling. Probably we need a different type of specialized probe,
> consisting of a djprobe that prints out some standard info.  That same
> probe would be inserted everywhere, instead of compiling tens of
> thousands of identical probes.

Is the creation of a trace probe something thats being worked on?  My
teams is currently in the process of creating a trace tool using
SystemTap and one of the requirements that the tool need is that for
every probe inserted, the cpu, pid, tid and a time-stamp (jiffies?) be
returned as well as some additional information that would be probe
specific.  While it is possible to grab all these using SystemTap, I
wonder if it would make more sense to have a special trace probe that
does all this and then have SystemTap exploit this.

Any thoughts?

-JRS