Re: variables in scopes

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> A better one would be this construct
> @filp->f_dentry->d_inode@ living in a probe of filp_open().  I propose
> a functional syntax such as
>     field(field(var("filp"),"f_dentry"),"d_inode")

I personally would prefer the former.  When I write probes, I understand
the original code.  Then it comes naturally that I write

  @filp->f_dentry->d_inode@

since, like it or not, the kernel is written the same way.  If the only
argument is ease of parsing, then I suggest making the extra effort.
Writing parsers for C-like languages is well understood for 30+ years.
The functional form is easier to parse and requires the author to think
hard about what s/he wants, but so what?  C doesn't require it.

--
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â