Re: [RFC] Design + prototype: Multiple handler sets per probe address

William Cohen wrote:
Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli wrote:

Hi,

Here is a design to support "Mulitple handler sets per address". I have also put in the i386 implementation based on this design.

Some notes:

- The interfaces to register, unregister, define handlers all remain
the same.
- A kprobe and jprobe cannot co-exist at the same location. (Ideas are welcome on how to support this).

I have minimally tested the patch and it works(tm).

Please let me know your thoughts on the design. I'd also appreciate if you could test the patch (diffed against 2.6.12-rc1-mm3) and provide feedback.

Thanks, Ananth

I have been working on some simple testing to exercises the multiple probes. It checks to make sure that probes are inserted and deleted as expected. It has three probes at location.

I appologize for the verbose output. I have also attached output of the test results. There are some warning about allocating sleeping function.

The warning appears only in one of the eight runs. Will investigate this. A GFP_KERNEL/GFP_ATOMIC issue, probably - but if so, why only in one of the eight runs? Beats me!

It appears to be inserting and removing probes as expected.

Good to hear that!

It seems like it would be useful to have unregister_kprobe() return whether the operation was successful or not. Be able to catch cases were code attempts to remove a probe twice.

Changing the existing interface :-) But I suppose users who don't care about the return code may as well ignore it.

Thanks,
Ananth