Re: x86 full system simulation.

"Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com> writes:

> Hi -
>
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 01:54:04PM +0100, Johan Rydberg wrote:
>> I noticed that SID nowdays has a x86-component.
>
> Yes, Tom Fitzsimmions imported a copy of BOCHS there several years ago.

"several years ago" is "nowdays" when it comes to the development pace
of SID :)

>> Do SID come with enough hardware models to run a full machine (eg
>> 440bx)?
>
> Pretty close.  Check out the component library for details.

Cool.  I'll see if I can get it to work when I have a few hours over.

Unrelated: Has anyone toyed with the idea of maybe throwing away
mainDynamic+configrun and replacing it with a Python frontend?  In
some situations it can be of great value to script both the
configuration process and the actual simulation session.  I'm mostly
thinking about testing (of guests, not the simulator) here.

I know that SID is somewhat hooked up to tcl, but I won't touch that
with a three hundred meter pole.

~j