Re: GIF in HOWTOs

Hi.

# This is the topic from ldp-discuss, but this is related to
# sgml-tools (v1) software, so I add cc to sgml-tools list.
# The original sgml-tools 1.0.9 includes the GIF images as icons,
# and use them when sgml2html is given "-I" or "--button" as an option.

In article <A5F46F4ED18FD211ABEE00105AC6CF077F7BBE@email.cu-portland.edu>,
  at Fri, 4 Feb 2000 13:14:09 -0800 ,
    on RE: GIF in HOWTOs,
 Gregory Leblanc <GLeblanc@cu-portland.edu> writes:

> [...]

I am not the maintainer of sgml-tools (v1) itself. I am
only the maintainer of the Debian package of sgml-tools
(v1: current is 1.0.9) now.

I have uploaded the new package with the modification to use
PNG files instead of GIF files (and includes PNG files in
 /usr/lib/sgml-tools/icons/). Coming new release of Debian
 (potato) will have this package as default.

I am planning to upload the diff to the original sgml-tools 1.0.9 with
this modification at JF project, and to make it distributed from:
 <http://www.linux.or.jp/JF/workshop/archives/>.

If the sgmltools project can grant to release the new sgml-tools (v1)
with the modifications above as the new official release, then I will
work for it, and will make it to include other several bug fixes.

I have heard that the project has stopped the support for this old
branch (v1) and has been concentrated in the development of current
branch (v2, current is 2.0.2).

But members in LDP told me that LDP requires the support for Linuxdoc DTD,
so I think the new release of sgml-tools (v1) is required for them.

If the sgml-tools project can not provide the support and can not release
the new bug fixed version, then I think that LDP has to consider to have
their own tools for the old Linuxdoc DTD. If LDP wish to do that, and
the sgml-tools project can not do anything about this, then I will work
with the LDP.

> > A jpg version might be even better since all browser may not know png

> JPEG image format isn't all that good for images like these, it tends to
> make things look "fuzzy".  Perhaps set to 0 compression they look ok, I just
> use PNG on my website.  Does anybody know offhand which browsers don't
> support PNG?

I don't know which is better. Mozilla M12 and Netscape Navigator 4.6 on
my system can display that PNG files well. w3 mode of xemacs21 can display
the images also.

The sizes of these icons are reduced when converted into PNG. JPG images
are grown up about 50% in size than GIF. Sure, this is not so important
factor because they are all small (< 500bytes at most, in JPEG).

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>