where goith the static libs?

I will grant that I am new to RHUG, and to Autotools
in general, but I it looks like this should work, and does
not.

In my setup, it appears that the building of static libs
is enabled, and the .o files are indeed in the tree, but
only .so and .la are put in .libs.

I am using gcj-ssa on a RH9 system and a new dl
of the rhug sources.  the libtool version string
says 1.4e (is this correct?).

All help is appreciated.

best regards

Leslie Rohde