Borland C++Builder support

Hi Ross/list,

Please consider the attached files, which add Borland C++Builder support, for inclusion into the next release of pthreads-win32. My understanding is that they will also work with the free Borland C++ compiler, but I haven't tried it.

In ptw32_InterlockedCompareExchange.c, I've added a section for Borland's compiler; it's identical to that for the MS compiler except that it uses /* ... */ comments instead of ; comments.

The other file is a makefile suitable for use with Borland's compiler (run "make -fBmakefile" in the directory). It builds a single version of the library, pthreadBC.dll and the corresponding pthreadBC.lib import library, which is comparable to the pthreadVC version; I can't personally see any demand for the versions that include structured or C++ exception cancellation handling so I haven't attempted to build those versions of the library. (I imagine a static version might be of use to some, but we can't legally use that on my commercial projects so I can't try that out, unfortunately.)

Borland C++ doesn't define the ENOSYS constant used by pthreads-win32; rather than make more extensive patches to the pthreads-win32 source I have a mostly-arbitrary constant for it in the makefile. However this doesn't make it visible to the application using the library, so if anyone actually wants to use this constant in their apps (why?) someone might like to make a seperate NEED_BCC_something define to add this stuff.

The makefile also #defines EDEADLK as EDEADLOCK, _timeb as timeb, and _ftime as ftime, to deal with the minor differences between the two RTLs' naming conventions, and sets the compiler flags as required to get a normal compile of the library.

(While I'm on the subject, the reason Borland users should recompile the library, rather than using the impdef/implib technique suggested previously on the mailing list, is that a) the errno constants are different, so the results returned by the pthread_* functions can be meaningless, and b) the errno variable/pseudo-variable itself is different in the MS & BCC runtimes, so you can't access the pthreadVC's errno from a Borland C++-compiled host application correctly - I imagine there are other potential problems from the RTL mismatch too.)

Best regards,
Will

--
Will Bryant
Systems Architect, eCOSM Limited

/*
 * ptw32_InterlockedCompareExchange.c
 *
 * This translation unit implements routines which are private to
 * the implementation and may be used throughout it.
 *
 * --------------------------------------------------------------------------
 *
 *      Pthreads-win32 - POSIX Threads Library for Win32
 *      Copyright(C) 1998 John E. Bossom
 *      Copyright(C) 1999,2003 Pthreads-win32 contributors
 *
 *      Contact Email: rpj@callisto.canberra.edu.au
 *
 *      The current list of contributors is contained
 *      in the file CONTRIBUTORS included with the source
 *      code distribution. The list can also be seen at the
 *      following World Wide Web location:
 *      http://sources.redhat.com/pthreads-win32/contributors.html
 *
 *      This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 *      modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
 *      License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
 *      version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
 *
 *      This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 *      but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
 *      MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
 *      Lesser General Public License for more details.
 *
 *      You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
 *      License along with this library in the file COPYING.LIB;
 *      if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
 *      59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA
 */

#include "pthread.h"
#include "implement.h"

/*
 * ptw32_InterlockedCompareExchange --
 *
 * Needed because W95 doesn't support InterlockedCompareExchange.
 * It is only used when running the dll on W95. Other versions of
 * Windows use the Win32 supported version, which may be running on
 * different processor types.
 *
 * This can't be inlined because we need to know it's address so that
 * we can call it through a pointer.
 */

PTW32_INTERLOCKED_LONG WINAPI
ptw32_InterlockedCompareExchange (PTW32_INTERLOCKED_LPLONG location,
				  PTW32_INTERLOCKED_LONG value,
				  PTW32_INTERLOCKED_LONG comparand)
{

#if defined(__WATCOMC__)
/* Don't report that result is not assigned a value before being referenced */
#pragma disable_message (200)
#endif

  PTW32_INTERLOCKED_LONG result;

/* *INDENT-OFF* */

#if defined(_M_IX86) || defined(_X86_)

#if defined(_MSC_VER) || defined(__WATCOMC__)

  _asm {
    PUSH         ecx
    PUSH         edx
    MOV          ecx,dword ptr [location]
    MOV          edx,dword ptr [value]
    MOV          eax,dword ptr [comparand]
    LOCK CMPXCHG dword ptr [ecx],edx        ; if (EAX == [ECX]),
                                            ;   [ECX] = EDX
                                            ; else
                                            ;   EAX = [ECX]
    MOV          dword ptr [result], eax
    POP          edx
    POP          ecx
  }

#elif defined(__BORLANDC__)

  _asm {
	PUSH	 ecx
	PUSH	 edx
	MOV 	 ecx,dword ptr [location]
	MOV 	 edx,dword ptr [value]
	MOV 	 eax,dword ptr [comparand]
	LOCK CMPXCHG dword ptr [ecx],edx	    /* if (EAX == [ECX]),
							[ECX] = EDX
						 else
							EAX = [ECX] */
	MOV 	 dword ptr [result], eax
	POP 	 edx
	POP 	 ecx
  }

#elif defined(__GNUC__)

  __asm__
    (
     "lock\n\t"
     "cmpxchgl       %3,(%0)"    /* if (EAX == [location]), */
                                 /*   [location] = value    */
                                 /* else                    */
                                 /*   EAX = [location]           */
     :"=r" (location), "=a" (result)
     :"0"  (location), "q" (value), "a" (comparand)
     : "memory" );

#endif

#else

  /*
   * If execution gets to here then we should be running on a Win95 system
   * but either running on something other than an X86 processor, or a
   * compiler other than MSVC or GCC. Pthreads-win32 doesn't support that
   * platform (yet).
   */

  result = 0;

#endif

/* *INDENT-ON* */

  return result;

#if defined(__WATCOMC__)
#pragma enable_message (200)
#endif

}
# This makefile is compatible with BCB make.  Use "make -fBMakefile" to compile.
#
# The variables $DLLDEST and $LIBDEST hold the destination directories for the
# dll and the lib, respectively. Probably all that needs to change is $DEVROOT.

DEVROOT=H:\libraries\pthreads-win32\pthreads

DLLDEST=$(DEVROOT)\DLL
LIBDEST=$(DEVROOT)\DLL

DLLS	= pthreadBC.dll

OPTIM	= /O2

# most of the below flags are to provide compatibility with the MSC-orientated source:
# borland uses EDEADLOCK, timeb, and ftime instead of EDEADLK, _timeb, and _ftime.
# borland doesn't define ENOSYS in errno.h, so we define an arbitrary value for it here (we don't use ENOSYS in our client apps; if someone wants this, we could add a seperate case to the config & need_errno header files for it).

CFLAGS	= /I. /D_WIN32_WINNT=0x400 /DHAVE_CONFIG_H=1 /4 /tWM \
	/DEDEADLK=EDEADLOCK /D_timeb=timeb /D_ftime=ftime \
	/DENOSYS=140

#C cleanup code
BCFLAGS	= /D__CLEANUP_C $(CFLAGS)

# Agregate modules for inlinability
DLL_OBJS	= \
		attr.obj \
		barrier.obj \
		cancel.obj \
		cleanup.obj \
		condvar.obj \
		create.obj \
		dll.obj \
		errno.obj \
		exit.obj \
		fork.obj \
		global.obj \
		misc.obj \
		mutex.obj \
		nonportable.obj \
		private.obj \
		rwlock.obj \
		sched.obj \
		semaphore.obj \
		signal.obj \
		spin.obj \
		sync.obj \
		tsd.obj

INCL	= config.h implement.h semaphore.h pthread.h need_errno.h

ATTR_SRCS	= \
		pthread_attr_init.c \
		pthread_attr_destroy.c \
		pthread_attr_getdetachstate.c \
		pthread_attr_setdetachstate.c \
		pthread_attr_getstackaddr.c \
		pthread_attr_setstackaddr.c \
		pthread_attr_getstacksize.c \
		pthread_attr_setstacksize.c \
		pthread_attr_getscope.c \
		pthread_attr_setscope.c

BARRIER_SRCS = \
		pthread_barrier_init.c \
		pthread_barrier_destroy.c \
		pthread_barrier_wait.c \
		pthread_barrierattr_init.c \
		pthread_barrierattr_destroy.c \
		pthread_barrierattr_setpshared.c \
		pthread_barrierattr_getpshared.c

CANCEL_SRCS	= \
		pthread_setcancelstate.c \
		pthread_setcanceltype.c \
		pthread_testcancel.c \
		pthread_cancel.c

CONDVAR_SRCS	= \
		ptw32_cond_check_need_init.c \
		pthread_condattr_destroy.c \
		pthread_condattr_getpshared.c \
		pthread_condattr_init.c \
		pthread_condattr_setpshared.c \
		pthread_cond_destroy.c \
		pthread_cond_init.c \
		pthread_cond_signal.c \
		pthread_cond_wait.c

EXIT_SRCS	= \
		pthread_exit.c

MISC_SRCS	= \
		pthread_equal.c \
		pthread_getconcurrency.c \
		pthread_once.c \
		pthread_self.c \
		pthread_setconcurrency.c \
		ptw32_calloc.c \
		ptw32_new.c \
		w32_CancelableWait.c

MUTEX_SRCS	= \
		ptw32_mutex_check_need_init.c \
		pthread_mutex_init.c \
		pthread_mutex_destroy.c \
		pthread_mutexattr_init.c \
		pthread_mutexattr_destroy.c \
		pthread_mutexattr_getpshared.c \
		pthread_mutexattr_setpshared.c \
		pthread_mutexattr_settype.c \
		pthread_mutexattr_gettype.c \
		pthread_mutex_lock.c \
		pthread_mutex_timedlock.c \
		pthread_mutex_unlock.c \
		pthread_mutex_trylock.c

NONPORTABLE_SRCS = \
		pthread_mutexattr_setkind_np.c \
		pthread_mutexattr_getkind_np.c \
		pthread_getw32threadhandle_np.c \
		pthread_delay_np.c \
		pthread_num_processors_np.c \
		pthread_win32_attach_detach_np.c \
		pthread_timechange_handler_np.c

PRIVATE_SRCS	= \
		ptw32_is_attr.c \
		ptw32_processInitialize.c \
		ptw32_processTerminate.c \
		ptw32_threadStart.c \
		ptw32_threadDestroy.c \
		ptw32_tkAssocCreate.c \
		ptw32_tkAssocDestroy.c \
		ptw32_callUserDestroyRoutines.c \
		ptw32_timespec.c \
		ptw32_throw.c \
		ptw32_InterlockedCompareExchange.c \
		ptw32_getprocessors.c

RWLOCK_SRCS	= \
		ptw32_rwlock_check_need_init.c \
		ptw32_rwlock_cancelwrwait.c \
		pthread_rwlock_init.c \
		pthread_rwlock_destroy.c \
		pthread_rwlockattr_init.c \
		pthread_rwlockattr_destroy.c \
		pthread_rwlockattr_getpshared.c \
		pthread_rwlockattr_setpshared.c \
		pthread_rwlock_rdlock.c \
		pthread_rwlock_timedrdlock.c \
		pthread_rwlock_wrlock.c \
		pthread_rwlock_timedwrlock.c \
		pthread_rwlock_unlock.c \
		pthread_rwlock_tryrdlock.c \
		pthread_rwlock_trywrlock.c

SCHED_SRCS	= \
		pthread_attr_setschedpolicy.c \
		pthread_attr_getschedpolicy.c \
		pthread_attr_setschedparam.c \
		pthread_attr_getschedparam.c \
		pthread_attr_setinheritsched.c \
		pthread_attr_getinheritsched.c \
		pthread_setschedparam.c \
		pthread_getschedparam.c \
		sched_get_priority_max.c \
		sched_get_priority_min.c \
		sched_setscheduler.c \
		sched_getscheduler.c \
		sched_yield.c

SEMAPHORE_SRCS = \
		sem_init.c \
		sem_destroy.c \
		sem_trywait.c \
		sem_timedwait.c \
		sem_wait.c \
		sem_post.c \
		sem_post_multiple.c \
		sem_getvalue.c \
		sem_open.c \
		sem_close.c \
		sem_unlink.c \
		ptw32_increase_semaphore.c \
		ptw32_decrease_semaphore.c

SPIN_SRCS	= \
		ptw32_spinlock_check_need_init.c \
		pthread_spin_init.c \
		pthread_spin_destroy.c \
		pthread_spin_lock.c \
		pthread_spin_unlock.c \
		pthread_spin_trylock.c

SYNC_SRCS	= \
		pthread_detach.c \
		pthread_join.c

TSD_SRCS	= \
		pthread_key_create.c \
		pthread_key_delete.c \
		pthread_setspecific.c \
		pthread_getspecific.c

all: clean $(DLLS)

realclean: clean
	if exist *.dll del *.dll
	if exist *.lib del *.lib
	if exist *.stamp del *.stamp

clean:
	if exist *.obj del *.obj
	if exist *.ilk del *.ilk
	if exist *.pdb del *.pdb
	if exist *.exp del *.exp
	if exist *.o del *.o
	if exist *.i del *.i

install: $(DLLS)
	copy pthread*.dll $(DLLDEST)
	copy pthread*.lib $(LIBDEST)

$(DLLS): $(DLL_OBJS)
	ilink32 /Tpd /Gi $(DLL_OBJS), \
		$@, ,\
		import32.lib cw32mt.lib c0d32x.obj

.c.obj:
	bcc32 $(OPTIM) $(BCFLAGS) -c $<

attr.obj:	attr.c $(ATTR_SRCS) $(INCL)
barrier.obj:	barrier.c $(BARRIER_SRCS) $(INCL)
cancel.obj:	cancel.c $(CANCEL_SRCS) $(INCL)
condvar.obj:	condvar.c $(CONDVAR_SRCS) $(INCL)
exit.obj:	exit.c $(EXIT_SRCS) $(INCL)
misc.obj:	misc.c $(MISC_SRCS) $(INCL)
mutex.obj:	mutex.c $(MUTEX_SRCS) $(INCL)
nonportable.obj:	nonportable.c $(NONPORTABLE_SRCS) $(INCL)
private.obj:	private.c $(PRIVATE_SRCS) $(INCL)
rwlock.obj:	rwlock.c $(RWLOCK_SRCS) $(INCL)
sched.obj:	sched.c $(SCHED_SRCS) $(INCL)
semaphore.obj:	semaphore.c $(SEMAPHORE_SRCS) $(INCL)
spin.obj:	spin.c $(SPIN_SRCS) $(INCL)
sync.obj:	sync.c $(SYNC_SRCS) $(INCL)
tsd.obj:	tsd.c $(TSD_SRCS) $(INCL)