This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the pthreas-win32 project.
Re: pthread Win32 - runtime lib VC++ setting
- From: Ross Johnson <rpj at ise dot canberra dot edu dot au>
- To: vc <vcotirlea at hotmail dot com>
- Cc: pthreads-win32 at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 10:52:58 +1000
- Subject: Re: pthread Win32 - runtime lib VC++ setting
- References: <LAW12-OE648aK38o2om000011c0@hotmail.com>
Hi all,Re the /MT flag, I can't say now because I don't really know.
I'm working on Win2k with VC++ 7.1 (VS .NET beta).
I have to port a Unix app on Windows, so I'm using the pthread lib for
I've downloaded the sources, as I want to build them myself, and
looking at the VC++ settings, I discovered that in Debug
configuration, the /MDd flag is used (which means: "multithread- and
DLL-specific versions of the run-time") and in Release configuration
the /MT flag is used (even if the release version of the /MDd flag is
1) Why is not used in the project settings the same flag for both
configuration(i.e /MDd - debug; /MD - release or /MTd - debug; /MT -
release)? Is there a reason, or it was just by mistake?
Note: MS recommended for DLLs to use /MD (/MDd)
Since you wan't to build the library yourself, you should get the source
via anonymous CVS (see the web page for details -
http://sources.redhat.com/pthreads-win32/). It has the latest bug fixes,
and currently bug fixes are the only changes from the latest versions
available from ftp. I will update the ftp versions ASAP.
2) If for this is actually no reason, is it ok if I build the sources
using the /MD flag for release?
3) I donwloaded the sources from
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/pthreads-win32/sources/ and there is a
pthreads-snap-2002-11-04 directory. Is this a release version? Is it
ok if I'm using this version, or this is just a version between 2
4) When I downloaded just binaries some time ago, there were 3See the FAQ file, answer to Q2. For VC you don't need to do anything
because it is the default. The others can be used if you add the
appropriate compile flags when you build your application code, and when
you build the library if you don't use the prebuilt dlls.
versions of the binaries: VC, VSE, VCE. The sources that I downloaded
now seems to be for the VC version. Am I correct? (because this is the
version that interests me)
Thanks a lot in advance,