This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the pthreas-win32 project.
RE: More porting questions
- To: "'Neta Zmora'" <Neta_Zmora at vocaltec dot com>
- Subject: RE: More porting questions
- From: "Milan Gardian" <mg at tatramed dot sk>
- Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 10:14:03 +0100
- Cc: <pthreads-win32 at sourceware dot cygnus dot com>
> PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE_NP - a constant
> PTHREAD_MUTEX_FAST_NP - a constant
> pthread_mutexattr_setkind_np(...) - this is a function
Please note that 'np' in the function (and constant) names stands for
Non-Portable. That means that any design using those functions is
non-portable (at source-code level) to other platforms, i.e. the library
authors do not guarantee that the functions will be available anywhere else
but in the specific library.
> Does anyone know of a more complete Posix Threads implementation?
The Win32 PThreads implementation at
(http://sourceware.cygnus.com/pthreads-win32/) is the most complete one I
came around, but because it is open source, there is an ongoing effort of
making it better - eliminating bugs, adding functionality and increasing
efficiency. So as I see it you have 2 options:
1) Reconsider design of the application being ported, especially the
neccesity for non-portable functions and, if possible, replace them with
2) Implement the required non-portable functionality using Win32 API (if
possible) and share them with the rest of us by posting it to this mailing
list :). If the functions are reasonable, I am sure Ross would consider
adding them to the next pthreads snapshot and your name(s) would be added to
the "hall of fame" file named "CONTRIBUTORS" :))).