This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the pthreas-win32 project.
Re: Can I run pthread on win95?
- To: Michał Fryska <gfsoft at venus dot wmid dot amu dot edu dot pl>
- Subject: Re: Can I run pthread on win95?
- From: Ross Johnson <rpj at ise dot canberra dot edu dot au>
- Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 15:27:37 +1000 (EST)
- cc: Pthreads Developers List <pthreads-win32 at sourceware dot cygnus dot com>
On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, [ISO-8859-2] Micha³ Fryska wrote:
> I've downloaded pthreads-dll-1999-08-12 directory (pthreads-dll-1999-09-17
> lacks libpthread32.a).
I felt I needed to get an updated snapshot out urgently, but will
add the corresponding libpthread32.a as soon as I can.
> I've no problems with running it with Windows NT && cygwin-b20.
> But.. the same program compiled under Windows 95 with cygwin-b19 doesn't
> work at all. So... is there a chance to run it with W95??
What happens when you run the executable built under WNT on W95?
Ditto for the W95 built program running on WNT?
The pthreads-win32 should not be causing problems under W95, but the
library has not been tested with cygwin, only MSVC and Mingw32.
There are differences between W95/W98 and WNT, which are handled at
run-time by the library. For example, W95/W98 doesn't support the
Win32 TryEnterCriticalSection function, so under these versions of
Win32 pthreads-win32 mutexes are implemented using Win32 mutexes,
whereas under WNT they are implemented using the faster critical
This is how I currently test the library:
- build the library and DLL under WNT using MSVC, then build and run
the tests using MSVC on WNT.
- build libpthread32.a under W98 using Mingw32, then build and run
the tests using Mingw32 on W98 using this libpthread32.a and the
WNT/MSVC generated DLL.
| Ross Johnson | | E-Mail: email@example.com
| Info Sciences and Eng|___|
| University of Canberra | FAX: +61 6 2015227
| PO Box 1 |
| Belconnen ACT 2616 | WWW: http://willow.canberra.edu.au/~rpj/
| AUSTRALIA |