This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the pthreas-win32 project.
RE: pthread-win32 for winCE ?
- To: 'Tristan Savatier' <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, "Bossom, John" <John.Bossom@Cognos.COM>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Kevin.Ruland@anheuser-busch.com
- Subject: RE: pthread-win32 for winCE ?
- From: "Bossom, John" <John.Bossom@Cognos.COM>
- Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:45:52 -0400
- Cc: Gilles Boccon-Gibod <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com
could you be very specific?
The correct solution would be to simulate the missing
functionality on WinCE, NOT restrict the implemention of
Win32 to be only that for WinCE.
i.e.) I don't have WinCE, therefore I don't know what
is there and what isn't. Please list ALL undefined
symbols. I want to know if semaphores are supported
at all or only partially.
From: Tristan Savatier [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Friday, August 06, 1999 3:48 AM
To: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;
John.Bossom@cognos.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;
Cc: Gilles Boccon-Gibod; firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: pthread-win32 for winCE ?
First, I have to congratulate you all for the good work.
I have had no problem using your pthread-win32 to port
a complex multithreaded linux application (a real-time
mpeg video+audio player) to win32.
But I noticed that your implementation currently relies on
some semaphore routines (e.g. ReleaseSemaphore) that do
not exist on WinCE (Windows-CE defines only a subset
of the Win32 API).
So my question is: how difficult would it be to modify
pthread-win32 so that it could also be used on winCE
I see two ways for doing that.
- Either change pthread-win32 so that it only calles
routines that are defined on WinCE,
- Or keep the current implementation, identify the routines
that do not exist on WinCE and emulate the missing routines
using WinCE primitives (e.g. re-implement the semaphores
routines using the WinCE API).
What is your opinion on this problem ?