Re: Cast "const char *" pointers to "char *" to avoid compiler warnings.

On 10/01/2018 05:33 PM, Christophe Lyon wrote:
Hi,

GCC complains that some assignments loose the const-ness of several
data. This small patch adds explicit (char *) casts, but I'm not
familiar enough with what newlib does with these to be sure that they
are not modified. Maybe the proper fix would be to declare the
destinations as "const"?

Christophe
If I understand what you're saying properly, it amounts to saying that you did not verify whether the GCC warnings about discarding const are valid or not, yet you are suppressing them.  Is this a proper understanding?  If so, it seems like these proposed patches are a bad idea, as they might be hiding a real problem, or changing the wrong thing.  (In a very quick look at locale.c, for example, locale can definitely be written to--it is definitely not const. This implies that the const on new_locale is what is wrong.)
Craig