How to quickly test changes in Newlib without rebuilding the whole toolchain

Hi all:

I am using Newlib in an embedded environment. This is the makefile I am using to build a GCC toolchain with it:

  https://github.com/rdiez/JtagDue/tree/master/Toolchain

I would like to modify Newlib and be able to test the changes quickly. One possible use case would be to develop Newlib patches to post to this mailing list.

The trouble is, I need to rebuild the whole GCC toolchain if I modify Newlib, and that takes a long time.

Is there a way that I can use a different Newlib than the one built into the current toolchain?

In order to test the changes, I could run the new version of Newlib on my Linux PC, instead of on my embedded target. Maybe under some fast emulator for a different architecture, if necessary.

Thanks in advance,
  rdiez