Re: wchar_t printf() format warning

On 3/19/2015 10:46 AM, Jonathan Roelofs wrote:

> On 3/19/15 8:40 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:

>>> Â7.19.6.1 7:
>>>
>>> "l (ell)
>>> Specifies that a following d, i, o, u, x, or X conversion specifier
>>> applies to a long int or unsigned long int argument; that a following n
>>> conversion specifier applies to a pointer to a long int argument; that a
>>> following c conversion specifier applies to a wint_t argument; that a
>>> following s conversion specifier applies to a pointer to a wchar_t
>>> argument; or has no effect on a following a, A, e, E, f, F, g, or G
>>> conversion specifier."
>>>
>>> You need a cast for the last argument: (wint_t)wc
>>>
>> I left out the disclaimer that this a cut down of code ported to RTEMS from
>> FreeBSD.
>>
>> I am adding a cast and moving along. I do wonder if gcc should be more
>> consistent in how these types are defined but that would be harder to
> That's a platform decision, not a gcc decision. AFAIK, there is no
> language requirement that wint_t and wchar_t be the same type.
Sometimes I question how conscious those decisions were. Cut and paste
often propagates things with no thought and after years, it is hard to know
if there was a good reason for something or not.
>> justify, fix, and test than it is probably worth.
> Yes, definitely. It would be an ABI-breaking change for that platform.
Actually at least 1/2 of the 18 RTEMS targets based on the warning.

Best to add a cast and move along. I don't want to turn this warning into
some Don Quixote type quest. :)