Re: Remove strlwr and strupr

Hi Joel,

On Aug 21 13:22, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Hi
>
> Attached is a patch to remove strlwr and strupr.
>
> I manually edited the Makefile.in and would appreciate someone
> comfortable with regenerating the Makefile.in and removing
> the two files to do that once this is approved.
>
> 2014-08-21  Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill@oarcorp.com>
>
>     * libc/include/string.h: Remove strlwr() and strupr() prototypes.
>     * libc/string/Makefile.am: Remove strlwr.c and strupr.c.
>     * libc/string/Makefile.in: Regenerate.
>     * libc/string/strings.tex: Remove includes for strlwr() and strupr().
>     * libc/string/strlwr.c: Remove.
>     * libc/string/strupr.c: Remove.

Uhm... I'm terribly sorry, but I had second thoughts about this issue.

What about newlib users who already used these functions?  While they
are not in any standard and only work for ASCII, they are not exactly
unknown.  Try a simple search for strlwr on the net.  It turns up lots
of hits.

Maybe it is better in terms of backward compatibility to keep the
functions in and just disable them in the header, after all...?

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer