Multiple versions of routines tuned for different devices

Hi,
   What's the right way to include multiple versions of string/memory
routines, where the appropriate
choice can't be determined from compiler defines?

  Greta's memcpy for A15 ARMs is good, however I have a routine that
is faster on the older/current
A9 cores;  I don't believe there is a way to get gcc to tell the code
what -mtune is passed to it.

We could just pass an extra -D in somewhere.

Thoughts?

Dave