Re: Year 2038 problem

On 09/12/2011 04:12 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
Hello,

since time_t is usually defined as long in Newlib and thus 32-bit on
most 32-bit targets, we are affected by the year 2038 problem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Since have a system that should operate for 30 years we have to address
this problem somehow.

What do you think about adding a configure option to define _TIME_T_ to
long long in "libc/include/machine/types.h" if requested?

Making it a configure option is not a good idea. But we _do_ have plans to eventually make a backwards-compatible ABI change to cygwin1.dll that supports 64-bit time_t (similar to how cygwin 1.5 made a backwards-compatible ABI change to support 64-bit off_t compared to cygwin 1.3 with 32-bit off_t). It is done by making the dll provide two entry points (32-bit and 64-bit versions), where new apps will automatically be compiled to use the 64-bit entry, and older apps compiled with the 32-bit entry will continue to work insofar as they don't overflow. But getting to that point will affect a lot of cygwin internal code, and requires someone to actually write the patch(es).