Re: On the toplevel configure and build system

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> Perhaps if we do move to git for all the /src stuff, we can have a

It is very strongly in my principle 6 that there should be no "we" moving
"for all the /src stuff" - that it should be made possible for each
project (a) through (i) to make its own decisions about version control
systems and repository hosting, and to have its own set of people with
write access, because the interdependencies associated with the shared
repository are one of the greatest flaws in the present system.  I believe
it is already possible for cgen and rda to move our of src on their own
because they appear to have no dependence on the toplevel infrastructure.
(Other components would complicate merge issues if they move without the
toplevel repository (a) being created first.)

> /toplevel git repository with different branches suitable for each of
> your tastes of such policy.

I am hoping that the toplevel repository, (a) in my list, should not have
branches at all.  All branching and tagging should take place in
repositories for individual projects (which could also choose when to
merge changes from the toplevel repository if merges at a particular time
are considered risky in the light of planned branches or releases).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com