Re: codeset problems in wprintf and wcsftime

Corinna Vinschen:
>> But that's got the M_ASSIGN_CHAR macro and cnv function for converting
>> ASCII numbers in the locale file to binary. I can't see anything
>> similar for mb_cur_max.
>
> I'm talking about the mechanism to overwrite a string with the numerical
> value which can be used here as well. ÂThis isn't in the file yet since
> no target uses this part of the code.

Fair enough.

Another one to keep in mind should the locale-loading code ever be
used: with __HAVE_LOCALE_INFO_EXTENDED__, the locale files would
currently have to be a mix of byte-based string and wide strings, so
some sort of conversion scheme might be needed.

>> So why not treat __mb_cur_max and __lc_ctype_charset the same way?
>> Global now, part of locale_t later.
>
> I don't get that.

What I mean is, leave out the __get_current_ctype_locale() calls added
to __locale_charset() and __locale_mb_cur_max():

  char *
  _DEFUN_VOID(__locale_charset)
  {
- #ifdef __HAVE_LOCALE_INFO__
-   return __get_current_ctype_locale ()->codeset;
- #else
    return lc_ctype_charset;
- #endif
  }

  int
  _DEFUN_VOID(__locale_mb_cur_max)
  {
- #ifdef __HAVE_LOCALE_INFO__
-   return __get_current_ctype_locale ()->mb_cur_max[0];
- #else
    return __mb_cur_max;
- #endif
  }

> Even today, no other code accesses the charset
> directly, but via the __locale_charset() function.

Yes, and I'm not proposing to change that.

>Â__lc_ctype_charset will go away for targets supporting locales.
> Consequentially we have to do the same for __mb_cur_max.

And I don't get that. In loadlocale() we already determine what the
charset and mb_cur_max are, so there's no need to take the detour via
the lc_ctype_T. Why not continue to stick them into the global
variables at the moment, and have them as fields directly in the
locale_t structure later?

Or is the plan that loadlocale() will no longer parse the locale
string and determine the charset, and that the charset is determined
solely by the locale file in the non-Cygwin case?

> Each of these functions have access
> to the reent context, which in turn will have a pointer to the locale_t,
> which in turn stores the required information.

ActualIy I don't think the locale_t context should be stored in the
reent context. Currently setlocale() affects all threads; if we store
the locale in the reent struct instead, it would be thread-specific.
The POSIX description of setlocale() explicitly says: "The locale
state is common to all threads within a process." The point of the
locale_t stuff is that it adds the _l variants of all the
locale-dependent functions, which allow programs to create their own
locale contexts as necessary.

Therefore I think there'd need to be one global locale_t instance
that's used by the locale-dependent functions without _l.

Andy