From: newlib-owner@sourceware.org [mailto:newlib-owner@sourceware.org]
On Behalf Of Howland Craig D (Craig)
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:34 PM
To: newlib@sourceware.org
Subject: wchar.h missing functions

While checking what Corinna has supplied as the starting point for
the basic wide char stdio, I noticed that the following functions
required by C99 for wchar.h are missing from it and newlib:

fwprintf
fwscanf
swprintf
swscanf
vfwprintf
vfwscanf
vswprintf
vswscanf
vwprintf
vwscanf
wprintf
wscanf

wcstod
wcstof
wcstold
wcsftime
wcstok

The former group are presumably the next step that Corinna is planning
to take, as the first patch added the character I/O functions and the
request that started this was someone asking about swprintf.  However,
the last 5 have not otherwise been mentioned--not being I/O.

I made wcstok from strtok_r.  See the attached patch file.  I don't know
how to add the new file to all the makefiles and other things properly,
so I left that to Jeff.  (I could do Makefile.am, but Corinna's last
add had CHEWOUT_FILES that I know nothing about.)  There is no need for
a wcstok_r as it is thread safe as it is.  By the way, I used a form
that Eric Blake did earlier for including some tests in the file.

FreeBSD apparently has wcstod and wcsftime.  Since we're copying
the wide I/O functions from there, should these be copied, too?  Making
wcstof from wcstod would be easy enough.  wcstold probably could be left
out for a while, as all of the other long double functions are presently
missing, anyway.

Craig