Problem with mips toolchain under linux x86

Hi, last week I started to investigate about building  a toolchain
with mips as the target. Its for a work we are doing in my university.
I managed to compile gcc 3.4 and binutils 2.15  with the
"--target=mips" option without problems and then managed to compile
newlib for the same target (apparently without any problems). However
when I try to compile a simple "Hello world!" program in C the
compiler doesn't link with the libraries. GCC returns with the
following message:

manu@Jaco:~/src$ mips-gcc  manu.c
/opt/toolchain/bin/../lib/gcc/mips/3.4.3/../../../../mips/bin/ld:
warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to
0000000000400040
/tmp/ccIzcIx2.o(.text+0x14): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `printf'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
manu@Jaco:~/src$

Please understand that I'm a complete novice in the subject and its probable that I'm missing some important detail. What I've done so far was with the little bits of information I found around the internet. Maybe you also need more details about my current configuration, if so just tell me.

Thanks in advance, Manuel.