My printf doesn't work

Hi,
I would like to implement the "printf" function on my target. Accordingly with the documentation I found it seems that it should be enough to write some low level routine such "fstat, sbrk, istty, ... read, write". So, I implement these functions and I can monitor that fstat, sbrk and isatty are called during the printf. However, the "write" function is never called, and of course I cannot have the data out to my USART. Do I have initialise some I/O table or stuffs like this to make operational my printf? Any ideas?

I use gcc-4.1.0,
cpu32 target
newlib-1.14.0

Regards E. Franzi