Re: Pthread support

Vijay Deep wrote:
hi all
I successfully installed arm-elf-gcc and tried to compile JamVM
with arm-elf-gcc. It didn't configure,throwing an error that pthread
library is missing. Does newlib supports pthreads ?. If it does, then how
to cross compile gcc to make arm-elf-gcc support pthread.

If not, is there any other way, I could add pthread support to
newlib, thereby making arm-elf-gcc support pthreads. I did try to use
glibc instead of newlib, but I couldn't cross-compile gcc.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Vijay Deep

Vijay,

Pthread support is in the libc/sys/linux directory in the form of linuxthreads, however, the linux directory hasn't been set up for non-x86 systems such as arm.

Work is needed to provide the linux machine directories for arm which supplies the basic syscall mechanism among other things. Since the linux directory is LGPL, this code can be derived from glibc. If you are willing to start this, I will be more than happy to assist you.

An alternative you might look into is libpth http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/