Re: [RFC] Update to current automake/autoconf/libtool versions.

On Dec  5, 2002, Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> AC_NO_EXECUTABLES has two effects: (1) it disables the equivalent of
> AC_PROG_CC_WORKS, which is what we need.  But, (2) it causes autoconf
> to barf if an AC_TRY_LINK test appears anywhere in the script being
> generated.

Please tell me why (2) doesn't make sense.

If AC_PROG_CC_WORKS can't even link a do-nothing program, how would
you expect to get any useful results from AC_TRY_LINK?

> libstdc++-v3/configure.in has lots of AC_TRY_LINK tests.

If we know AC_PROG_CC_WORKS fails, it is a mistake to use AC_TRY_LINK
tests.  Removing the constraint from autoconf will do us no good.