Malloc without os

Hello all!

I am new to newlib and have some general questions about using newlib without an OS.

I want to compile for the or32 processor without an os, but still use standard c-functions such as strlen and malloc / free. How do I configure newlib to make this work?

If I write configure --target=or32, will the default-non-os implementations of malloc be included in my libc.a? Or do I have to do that part manually?

I saw something of malloc depending on sbrk. Non os-systems could provide a default minimal implementation of this function, is this mandatory or will this be done automatically when compiling without os?

Thank you very much in advance!
Björn