running the testsuite?

I was looking at the newlib web page, and noted the comment:

	"A nice testsuite to automate the testing of newlib is also
	needed."

As part of testing:

	http://sources.redhat.com/ml/newlib/2002/msg00278.html

i wanted to run the existing testsuite (and, indeed, add something to
it!).  However, in my build tree trying to 'make check-target-newlib'
failed for all tests, due to the header files not being where
expected?

Is this "normal" for the newlib testsuite?  (and, if so, what's the
usual way of running it to get around the problem?)

thanks,

chris